If you have ever found yourself shoving your mouth during periods with all the junk food – deep fried, crunchy, crispy, creamy, and sugary – in short everything and anything that threatens to let go of your disciplined lifestyle, you are on the same boat as thousands of girls on period. We call that boat The Period Boat.
For a lot of us, periods are so stressful and painful that we like to indulge in our cravings more often than not. We just can’t get enough of the French fries and the tub of ice-cream. We do that to relief our period cramps and make those 5 days slightly easier and comfortable. And junk food works like a charm on those days. Or so we feel.
Truth is as much as we crave or we feel our body needs all of these succulent cuisines that make our tongue dance with joy, we do tend to make our period worse than it already is by injecting our body with oily, sugary or spicy food. And in doing so, we put ourselves in the danger of aggravating the pain and invite other digestion related issues.
While it may sound quite boring and too preachy for our period-approaching minds, it is advisable to not indulge in junk food so much that all the digestive chemicals in your body run for their lives.
1. Bananas: Vit 6 in Bananas helps a great deal in relieving period cramps. Also, being a rich source of potassium, it helps reduce water retention and thereby bloating
2. Leafy Vegetables: Vegetables such as Spinach, Cabbage and Beetroot are a must because of their rich iron and fibre content.
3. Ginger: Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger helps in easing the pain.
4. Fennel Seeds: It can work as over-the-counter pain-killers too. Its muscle calming properties is useful during those uncomfortable period days.
5. Yoghurt: Yoghurt is rich in calcium that helps the body to balance the level of calcium during menstruation.